Igniting Self Reliance
The Syangja Phedikhola 9 Danda Goun School in Nuwakot
In June I have two volunteers coming, and we plan to provide the children with 3 months worth of supplies again. We have not said anything to them as we want them to continue to work hard for themselves. However with there being more students this year I want to give them another push.
Budget is $60
Larger School in Community close to Nuwakot
We are raising money now through sales of items in our shop in Pokhara, Tika Nepal
, to tourists in Nepal and shipments to America to provide a public school containing ~600 students with 3 months of supplies. This will give more students a chance to perform well and receive assistance from the Government.
Budget is $2500
Recurrent Assessed Scholarship Program
Scholarships for young girls that are promising students to attend University for one year
The young girls roughly 16 – 18 graduate from public schools with no means to be able to afford University and obtain a career. Their families will arrange them in marriages because at this stage they become a financial burden on the family that they can no longer bear. We provide the young girls with one year of University. There are rules around what they need to do to qualify.
- They must have performed well in school before we fund them.
- They must have plans for a career that is feasible should they marry after they finish University. (some careers are not acceptable for a wife and therefore the women are forced to stop work when married)
- They write a letter to the person that provides the donation detailing their plans for their Education, what they plan to do after they finish, why they are choosing this path, why they are in need of assistance (one girl’s Father is deaf and mute so cannot work and her Mother is uneducated) and a thank you for considering her to help financially.
- They must not marry during their time in University.
- They are often asked to assist with volunteer activities and must be willing to when not in school.
We asses them after a year to determine if they met all of the criteria again and qualify for another year.
Budget is $300 – $400 per student for one year of University and supplies (books, notebooks, pencils, etc)
Water system for School in Nuwakot
The Government funded school we provided supplies to has a limited water system. Water is collected off of the roof of the two buildings when it rains and collected into a holding tank. It rains just a few months out of year, not enough to really fill the tank, and the water system appears to be broken.
The children and teachers simply go in the woods, and have nothing to wash up with (they wash after they go in Nepal, and do not use toilet paper as we do in the West). They also do not wash their hands, which could spread disease. There are just under 20 students now. When the water system is added, the quality of the time in school will improve and therefore more students will attend. This will encourage the Government to provide a better education which will encourage even more students to attend. With families sending their children to public school they are no longer spending the money on private school which allows them to provide more for their families. Read more in our Project Proposal Download PDF.
Budget Total $6,341